November 17, 2007

On Aunts and Uncles...

I've thought a lot lately about the influence that my Aunts and Uncles have had on me. It has always been a very subtle yet very poignant influence in my life. Our child will have four biological uncles and two aunts by marriage (not any less valid of a relationship, just noting that as a matter of course.) Uncle Nick and Aunt Krista and Uncle Dylan, from Jess's side, will be a part of our child's life, no doubt. I've known them for a relatively short period of time, and the love and guidance that they shower on Jake and Sara is invaluable and cherished, by them and me. Uncle Greg and Uncle Rick (from my side) will most likely not be a part of our child's life (I will be more than happy to explain to any of you that do not understand, why this is so). While that causes ambivalence on my part, I am very comfortable about it. I know that our child will have an Uncle Keith, Uncle Kurt, Uncle Kevin, Uncle Freddy, Uncle Roc (if he ever returns a phone call), Uncle Geoff, Uncle Johnie, and Aunt Crystal, Aunt Kari, Asian Aunt Crystal, and Aunt Heidi. Until I wrote that sentence, I worried about the absence of influence and guidance in our baby's life, from Aunts and Uncles, that I have enjoyed and relished in my life. Through my Uncle Tommy, Uncle Ronnie, Uncle Larry, Auntie Bev, Aunt Terry and Auntie Kim; I have learned perseverance, humor, and unconditional acceptance amongst countless other virtues and values. I haven't always taken the time to thank them for their invaluable affect on me and advice to me. I doubt that they even realize the profound respect and love that I have for them. I'm certain that they do not know that I think of them often and that I hold them in the highest of esteem. The many life lessons that I've taken from them have helped me to be who I am today. They have helped me to understand that I can and should always strive to live my life being true to myself. They've taught me to value and learn from viewpoints different from my own. They've done all of this (and lots more) without even realizing it. There is no way that I can ever repay them for their love and guidance. I hope that they now know that I live my life constantly trying to make them proud. To my Aunts and Uncles, Thank you deeply for your trust and belief in me. I can never repay you for being what you are to me, but I can try! To those of you that I've identified as the Aunts and Uncles of our child, I have utmost faith that you will be to little Shaka, what my Aunts and Uncles have been to me. I know that it will come effortlessly to you. I thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for being who you are. My confidence in you may not seem like much; please know that it does not come lightly.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Most of the Aunts and Uncles are because of ME! The Grandparents of this baby are the only important ones. OH NO I mean the second important. It will always go home to you and Jess when we are done spoiling it.

Anonymous said...

YES I HAVE TO ADMIT THAT AUNTS AND UNCLES ARE IMPORTANT IN EVERYONE'S LIFE. I LEARNED ALOT FROM MY AUNTS AND UNCLES OVER THE YEARS AND MY LAST AUNT ALIVE ,WHO IS 95 YEARS OLD, IS STILL TEACHING ME THINGS.